jeudi 24 avril 2008

Warm again


A lovely hot day which brought out the grasshoppers for the first time this year. In the morning some scything, then planting out the haricot beans, mangetout, fenouil, onions and leaks.


At lunchtime I moved a couple of lengths of the trunk of the neighbours felled walnut tree which they said I could have - I'll take it to the sawmill to be planked for air drying (perhaps I'll make some new dining chairs with it eventually).
In the afternoon I descended to field no 4. Just before it on the left are two ruined barns and a few days ago I discovered an ancient path which descends from them to the stream - contouring the hillside between wood and meadow.
It was completely overgrown with holly and small trees and many trees had fallen across it. Nonetheless it was once a major route and is beautifully cut into the hillside and when it reaches the stream, the water is culverted under the path. So today I cleared it to within 15m of the stream (perhaps a 100m stretch). At one point a huge oak tree almost completely blocks the path and its a squeeze to get past.

Despite the warm temperatures theres still plenty of snow and with clear skies at night ski touring and climbing are possibilities with an early start. Hope to get out in the coming days.

Aucun commentaire :