samedi 30 août 2008

Comprehension test

Having applied for a Permit de Chasse (hunting permit) to enable me to buy ammunition to kill my pigs and hunt on my own land (and hopefully much of the rest of the commune), today I had a day of theory tuition in Foix. To get a permit you have to take two exams one theory and one practical.

I was a bit apprehensive about whether I would be able to understand enough of what was being said, given that the tuition involved a lecturer speaking french to an all french audience (except me) on all aspects of hunting - species recognition and natural history, law, firearms, safety, etc. without any visual aids or hand-outs for about 4 hours. I guess it's a mark of the progress I have made that I could understand at least 90% of what was being said and at the same time make notes in French and English for future revision. I'm sure my grasp of the language would be faster if I lived in a town or city or worked in an office but given that I live in the middle of nowhere, I was pleased.

1 commentaire :

Anonyme a dit…

Félicitations pour le cours de chasse en francais!
Vu l'isolement, il y une vie sociale importante dans le coin. Rien que tous ces apéros...Enfin, il est vrai que Quélébu est encore plus isolé que La trappe.