mercredi 24 septembre 2008

Sheep - Vet Magnets

Today was the day of my theory exam for the Permit de Chasse (hunting permit). The first exam I've taken in a very long time and certainly the first in a foreign language. However I passed with 100% correct answers! The practical exam follows in three weeks time.

When I got back and checked on the sheep, Una (who snapped off one of her horns as lamb) had ripped off another of her horns completely leaving just the raw horn core. I have no idea how she managed it or where it is. This has bled a lot down one side of her face. It seems to have stopped now. It's too late to call the vet, but in any case tomorrow I have to take all the sheep to the vet for their final FCO (blue tongue) vaccinations - two trailer loads of three sheep again - an all day affair. Even then it will be 60 days before they are fully protected. The vets here are too busy trying to vaccinate hundreds of thousands of sheep and cattle against FCO to make a house call to me with 6 sheep.

Meantime, this evening despite it being fairly cold today, there are clouds of midges everywhere (the culprits for spreading the disease). I've shut the sheep in the barn this evening so they are out of the worst of it. But it really is in the laps of the gods if any more of my sheep get infected or not.

1 commentaire :

Anonyme a dit…

Grattis ! (Means félicitations)