mercredi 15 octobre 2008

Which Rifle?

Remington 700 mountain LSS

Browning A-bolt stainless hunter

Having passed my hunting exams, the question of which rifle to purchase comes to the for. I've been researching for a quite a while but am still undecided. Biggest problem is rifle availability in Europe. Winchester and Browning are both owned by the FN Group in Belgium but the range of rifles offered in Europe is a tiny fraction of that offered in the US. As for Remington I don't know what the availability is.

I'm decided on 7mm-08 calibre, a bolt action rifle with wooden stock (not a fan of synthetics despite the practicality). I like the Browning A-bolt stainless hunter (but is it available here in France?), the Remington model 7 anniversary edition with its' 22" barrel and also the Remington 700 mountain LSS (but I've heard nasty things about the Remington standard trigger which is non-adjustable). Sako's and Tikka seem a bit heavy and big for me ( I'm 5' 7") and most the european manufactured guns I find very 'fussy'. Take Verney Carron for example...very popular in France but to my eye truly ugly. Steyr and Blaser are a bit of an unknown quantity.

Not sure about Ruger M77 either and whilst I hear good things about the 'new' Winchester model 70 I think the new trigger system is only available in the US and the european offerings are all with rear blade and front sight and only in WSM/WSSM calibres.

Thinking about importing...any feedback/advice welcome!

4 commentaires :

Anonyme a dit…

You may find European Guns fussy, but my friend has an FN made .338WM with smoothest operating bolt I've ever experienced. I'll try to get back to you on the model.

Lee Sharp a dit…

Probably a Browning Safari (FN). Nice gun.

By fussy/ugly I mean like this: http://www.verney-carron.com

I think the British/American gunsmithing heritage is for simple clean lines, whilst continental europes is all a bit over decorative. It's like 'Shaker' v 'Roccoco'.

Anonyme a dit…

usually one finds it is easier to go with the lightest weight and or "ladies" option when shopping for a firearm when you are of your stature.

Good day to you sir

Lee Sharp a dit…

...whereas if you're a 6'ft 5" ginger pikey, you're better off with a 5 foot long squirrel gun.

And a good day to you!