vendredi 31 mai 2013

Stormy weather

Atrocious weather for the past few days, but managed a long walk in the rain and been stripping our bedroom door, painting the bathroom door and carving an oak stair newel.

This side might stay wood...

Other side is painted white and gold

mardi 28 mai 2013


Back in France for our anniversary.

jeudi 23 mai 2013

Dig, dig, dig.

mardi 21 mai 2013

Excavations underway

First time with a micro-digger

samedi 18 mai 2013

Another day another bathroom..

Works on a bathroom extension are nearly finished and just as well, as the ground works on the next project in Cornworthy start on Tuesday.

In between times I've been knocking a project in Hastings into shape before it goes to planning.

mardi 7 mai 2013

Eight tours walk

Some great weather here in the UK after all these months of damp and darkness. Got out on the moor with Dommy and did the eight tours circuit around Burrator Reservoir in the reverse direction to last time. A pleasant 4 1/2 hour stroll.


 Aqueduct where Devonport Leat crosses the River Meavy

Sharpi Tor with Leather Tor and Sheep Tor in the distance.

dimanche 5 mai 2013

Back to UK

Back to the UK and straight on with building regulations drawings for the project at Cornworthy.

Then back to Bath where my tenant of 6 years has moved on (she's 82 and the steps were too much). The flat need some refreshment. So a very busy weekend installing a new kitchen sink and tap, repainting every surface except the ceilings and re-varnishing the floors. Another trip to repaint outside soon. I've put tenant finding with a local agent so hopefully it won't be empty for long.

The septic tank pump saga

Well I managed to remove the cracked part of the septic tank. On arrival at the main drainage retailer in the area i t became apparent that the connection on one end of the pipe was not standard. Whilst we could make up most of the piece (various bends and a one way valve) from standards off the shelf bits, the final connection was impossible. After calling the fabricator they told us that the design had been changed and they no longer made that part. They promised to track one down by lunchtime, and if they had one, they courier it to the wholesaler. It had to arrive in 24 hours because the following days my tenants move in and it was a bank holiday! Whilst waiting for the call I decided I needed a plan B. I got a price for hiring a pump from and hire shop and went to see if my insurers would cover the cost  - no chance.

By 12.00 still no call from the fabricator, so I headed for Pont as there was still lots to do and to try to find a Plan C. I had a plan to move the pump in the tank and make a whole new connecting pipe. After bailing out more "grey water" or should that be "brown water" I discovered another detachable connection and this was standard - so it would be possible to make up a relacement part from standard items!! I called the wholesaler and although the fabricator had by now found the part, it was ridiculously expensive, so plan C it was.

Next morning I collected the pieces, and had soon assembled and installed them in the tank. Now for the test. I ran all the taps in the house and slowly the tank filled. But when it got to depth that triggered the pump it whirred but no water moved. I quickly realised that the pump had an air block and need to be inverted. Only problem was that the pump was at the bottom of a two feet deep (60cm) tank filled with "brown water". Nothing for it but to roll up my sleeves and take the plunge. YUK - truly disgusting but I had no alternative as time was running out and bailing out the tank would take me past closing time of the wholesalers if another part was required.

Fortunately it worked, but despite washing immediately with bleach and soap, the smell on my arm didn't go for another day.

It was a long day's work (and the following morning) to get everything done in the house and to empty all the outbuildings, but finally it was done and with only minutes before the new tenants arrived. I hope they prove to be reliable!