lundi 17 avril 2006

Update

Yesterday was hot and sunny and at lunchtime I went for l’apero with my neighbours Phillip and Celine. I busked jazz and blues on the guitar whilst Phillip drummed on his African bongos! They drank whiskey and orange(!), I preferred Pastis as we thumbed through their winter holiday photos of Madagaskar.

Today it rained for most of the day. First thing I set to work repairing the scythe. After the heroics of a couple of days ago the blade was toothless and cracked – my own fault for making the blade too keen. Lots of filing and honing and it was good as new, only this time a bit more robust – more axe less scalpel.

Next I finished off what I could of the plumbing. With so many sizes of pipe here in France I missed a few connections so frustratingly can’t finish the installation. Still the cylinder is now installed (required dismantling of the bedroom cupboards to get it into place) and the back boiler and pump are water tested. Connecting the domestic hot water to allow electric immersion in summer and Rayburn in winter is going to be a challenge unless I use the same cylinder for both – possible but the pressure in the shower might be reduced if I do…a test will be required.

When the rain stopped (5.00) I tried out the scythe, clearing a considerable area without any blade damage. I found a 30 foot oak tree under the brambles. I kid you not! I kinda guessed there was something under the 30 foot mound of briar by all the mistletoe. Two piles of cut undergrowth the size of a house each now need to be burned. As the ground is wet I think it’ll be safe.

As the clouds lifted to their natural level of about 2500 ft amazing cloud formations reminiscent of an early Spielberg film occurred overhead. A well earned beer at dusk listening to the woodpeckers, cuckoos and owls ended a pleasingly productive day.

Aucun commentaire :