lundi 5 décembre 2016

Pic de la Fonta

With the great weather continuing and Emily here for a few days, we decided to head up into the hills again...this time to Pic de la Fonta. Amazing clear weather, with choughs, vultures and peregrine overhead.

vendredi 2 décembre 2016

Cour Vic

With high pressure sitting over Northern France, the weather here remains bright, calm and clear. With the Polytunnel finally finished Susie and I headed up into the snow above the Col de Pause for a break. The snow starts above the Cabane d'Areou (1700m) and we headed upto the col below Cour Vic at about 2100m where the snow is continuous and hard ice under a couple of centimetres of soft wind worked snow.

On the way up we spotted a fox, he ran up to a little flat spot on a ridge then curled up and turned his back on us. On the way to the col we took to the snow sometimes and other times to South facing slopes which were sometimes bare of snow or thinly covered.

We took lunch on the col with great views to Valier and zig-zag path descending to the Cabane d'Aula.

We thought to continue up to the Port d'Aula but the snow on the ridge leading to Cour Vic was hard ice and we hadn't brought crampons or ice axe so we descended the same way.

mercredi 30 novembre 2016

All done...

...on the outside at any rate!

lundi 28 novembre 2016

More polytunnel progress

Polythene on today...doors tomorrow.

mardi 22 novembre 2016


A trip to Ardichen on Monday to finally see Hilda and Christian's place (it's only taken 7 years!). They have a lovely set up overlooking Castillon en Couserans and it was good catch up. A lovely break too from all the on going works. On the way back we put the Mitsubishi through its control technique, so now we just need to sell the Jimny and then we can put it on french plates.

Despite the rain today the polytunnel is progressing.

samedi 19 novembre 2016


Polytunnel erection underway!!

vendredi 18 novembre 2016

A trip to Guzet

After fixing the car's exhaust and finishing the poly tunnel foundations, we took a day off and headed up to Guzet to play in the snow.

samedi 12 novembre 2016

After the rain

Lots of rain for the last 4 days which has hampered progress, but still managed to concrete some steps, remove the exhaust from the Mitsubishi which sheared off last week and needs to be replaced and do some electrics in the gite.

Today has been clear and so after a trip to St Girons to collect materials and go to the market, we went for a stroll to the Col de Saraille. Lovely views and autumn colours.

mardi 8 novembre 2016

First snows of the year.

As forecast, snow showers on the mountains over the weekend and snow flurries here last night and today. It was only this afternoon that I finally finished the slating. Work was interrupted by the delivery of the poly tunnel, though I don't think we'll be erecting it for a week or more yet.

jeudi 3 novembre 2016

Good chance of snow here at the weekend and during next week - crazy considering the temperatures here for the last month and even today (been topless for much of it). It's now a race against time to try and get the roof slated on the gite!

dimanche 30 octobre 2016

Guests and Pic Rouge de Bassies

Susie's Niece Emily and her boyfriend Edder have been here for 4-5 days, and after helping us with the land and digging new steps to the front door, we all went for a walk Up Pic Rouges de Bassies (2676m). Beautiful clear weather and fantastic views in all directions.

Mont Valier

Pic Rouge de Bassies on the horizon

Meanders and the refuge de Bassies


Montcalm and Pico d'Estats

ice crystals

Lovely colours at the Etang de Lhers

8 hours with a mini digger and I have made a platform for the poly tunnel which arrives next week, widened the entry to the field in the front of the house, dug a drain for water which collects in front of the gite and eased the access between the Chemin de Quélebu and the Chemin de Pinsou. 

 A haze of smoke today originating from the forest fires in Northern Spain

mardi 25 octobre 2016


After 4 days graft the longer side of the gite roof is slated, but I don't have enough to do the second side so I'll have to buy some more slates! 

Some rain yesterday evening but the today was balmy and warm.

samedi 22 octobre 2016


Last week Susie's sister Jen was here and they busied themselves with step building beside the vegetable garden, whilst Jasper and I gathered firewood and laid some more hedges. 

A lovely get together at chez Sheri's with John, Sandrine, Kim, Tim and Judith (who's organic garden we must vidit when she returns from Portugal).

Today Susie and I made a start on slating the gite roof, I continued all afternoon while she planted garlic and onions.

A visit from Dédé Vidale and Jean-Luc Fernandes in the afternoon with some meat from last year's chasse (the hunt starts here next weekend). In the evening l'apero at chez Philippe and Sophie, who are here for the next couple of weeks.