mercredi 10 août 2022

Bobbin rack



When sectional warping each "section" of the warp (typically 1-2 inches wide) has to be wound onto back beam in one go. Eventually as many sections are wound as are required by the width of the fabric to be woven. Typically, as my fabrics are in 8/2 cotton with supplemental threads in 16/2 cotton, my warps tend to be around 24-26 epi (ends or threads per inch). That means to wind a 2 inch section I would need 48-52 bobbins of warp threads!

A bobbin rack is therefore required to keep all those threads organised - especially as they may be different colours and/or thicknesses and in a specific order.  Fortunately, I was given a bag of 52 turned bobbins that a neighbour found in his attic. So yesterday I set to work building a rack out of mostly offcuts from other projects and some threaded 6mm stud (bizarrely a quarter of the price of plain steel rod of the same diameter).


under construction

finished!

 

Aucun commentaire :