vendredi 21 juin 2024

RIP Clinton

It's been a sad few days. Lots of rain and on Tuesday when we went to close the chickens up, three were missing. Trisha was gone and I soon found Clinton and Maggie's decapitated bodies. A fox attack. It's heartbreaking.

On Thursday I took the rest of the kitchen apart. We can't live with trapping four or five mice a day. My efforts seemed to make no difference, but this morning I spotted another hole almost at ceiling level behind a wall cupboard. Today the mice have stopped thank god!

During a walk this afternoon I spotted four foxes in the amphitheatre field! The grey vixen we see sometimes on the camera trap has three cubs, already indistinguishable from adults. It explains the killings earlier in the week, she's probably teaching them to hunt. We ll have to keep our last couple of hens and any new chickens locked in the run until October unless I get a chance to reduce the fox numbers.

First scarf underway.


 

Aucun commentaire :