mardi 10 juin 2008

More rain

Up early to build a new permanent 'chickens only' entrance to the chicken run, then set about moving the fences to put the sheep back in field no 1.
The oak and matchboard to finish inside the barn arrived and I began moving it into the barn. The oak (surprise, surprise) was unbelievable heavy and although I managed to move the two short lengths (4.5m x 300 x 40) single handed into the barn, the longer lengths of 5.5m were too much. I shifted them to the barn with one end in an uncontrolled wheelbarrow and the other being pushed and carried by me, but had to wait for John to give me a hand to get it into the barn. The sun came out and ever hopeful I turned the hay.
Irish Barry who has a house in the village came to visit (he's here for a couple of months) then the heavens opened and the rain didn't stop until the evening. A brief lull in the rain's intensity allowed the three of us (John had arrived by now) to get the last bits of oak into the barn, but we spent most the afternoon chatting and drinking tea.
When the rain eventually stopped the sun came out but I didn't bother turning the hay, preferring to scythe the brambles and ferns rearing their heads in field no 1 and cutting the oak to length to fit on top of the walls.

Aucun commentaire :