dimanche 24 août 2008

Col d'Agnes

The fog cleared quicker than I had expected this morning, so that by the time I had finished scything fields 1 and 2, it was a beautiful day with not a cloud in the sky. Alas it was too late for a mountain walk, so I thought I'd get the road bike out again.

I was quickly changed (superman would have been jealous) and on my way. After dropping down to Castet d'Aleu and the main road, I cycled to Oust then climbed the Valley Garbet (via Ercé and Aulus) before tackling the Col d'Agnes (a category 1 climb with 826m height gain in about 10km) which is regularly included in the Tour de France. It was hot and airless and the first third has no shade, but I kept going and soon I left the wooded valley behind and the mountain views opened up. Some shade and a cool breeze made the going easier and I was soon at the col (well nearly 1hr 25mins).

Near the top of the col during the famous Ariegoise Cycle Race.
In fact I only saw one other cyclist goint the same way as me
- he overtook me just 10m from the col - git!

A fast descent to the Etang de Lers and lunch in the café was followed by an even faster descent to Massat. The gradient eases after Massat and by the time I'd got back to Castet d'Aleu my legs were beginning to go to sleep. The 400m climb back to Quélébu (between 1 in 6 and 1 in 7 for the entire first two kilometers) soon had the blood flowing in my legs again. About 4hr 40 for the 70km circuit with 1565m of height gain in all.

5 commentaires :

Anonyme a dit…

Wow, sounds great. We've done it by car and found it tirering...

Lee Sharp a dit…

I found your blog - I like your basket work, did you see my attempts at woven hazel fences and baskets?

Anonyme a dit…

Looks like a great, but intense, ride!

Lee Sharp a dit…

Would help if I got on the bike more than 3 times a year! In fact only got it once last year.

My hands and backside were sore yesterday. Walking up Mont Valier tomorrow, should stretch the legs!

Anonyme a dit…

Thanks for checking my blog! Yes, I saw that you also like to build with branches. Nice work! It's so rewarding to build directly with nature's materials.