mercredi 19 janvier 2011

Tractor problems

A couple of very frustrating days trying to solve a diesel engine problem. The tractor runs for 10 mins or so then it starts to miss, loose power and eventually conks out and won't restart. At first I thought there was some water in the fuel as the behaviour started when I was traversing a steep hill and I assumed that the water in the fuel (which would sit at the bottom) probably moved over fuel tank outlet and was sucked into the cylinders. After changing all the fuel the problem has persisted. Once it's conked out I'm pretty sure there's no fuel getting through (no smoke from the exhaust) but I can get the tractor running again by bleeding the fuel line at the injectors. So now I'm pretty sure that it's air getting into the fuel line....but where from? It's a two cylinder, air cooled Ruggerini RD 220. So a pretty basic diesel engine.
My plan is to replace all the fuel lines (they look pretty old and perished) and jubilee clips, plus the fuel filter for good measure. Hope that does the trick otherwise it might be something more serious, beyond my knowledge and therefore expensive!

Aucun commentaire :