lundi 14 septembre 2009

Lifesaving

On Friday I saw a newly born calf in the field in front of the house, but something wasn't right. It was trying to feed from all the cows in the herd, each of which was pushing it away. It didn't really know what to do either, other than rub it's head under the belly. I didn't see the farmer come to check on the cows on Friday or Saturday and when I left for the christening the calf still seemed without a parent.

Vendredi dernier, j'ai vu un veau juste né dans le parc en face de chez moi, mais quelques chose etait pas bien. Il essayait de prendre du lait de toutes les vaches mais elles l'ont toutes réfusé. Il n'a pas su quoi faire, sauf de frotter sa tête sous leurs ventres.

This morning it was still managing to stagger around, but looked very weak and thin. Again no visit from the farmer (and he doesn't have a phone remember).

Le matin il etait très faible et mince. Pas de visite du fermier (et il n'a pas de téléphone).

When I returned from a walk this afternoon, I spotted the calf lying on the ground alone and away from the herd, barely moving. I climbed into the field and could see that it was very weak and probably wouldn't make it to the morning - obviously abandoned by it's mother or perhaps orphaned.

Quand je suis rentré d'un promenade cette l'après-midi, j'ai aperçu le veau sur la terre et tout seule, guère vivant.

I couldn't watch it die, so I picked the calf up, loaded it into the back of the car and drove off in search of the farm. I thought it was in Aliou and called into Alban's farm on route to ask directions. He told me it was actually in Cominac. So after about 25 km in the car I arrived and after asking several locals for directions found the farm and delivered the calf. It was whisked away to receive warm milk etc. and hopefully will survive.

Je n'ai'pas pu le voir mourir, donc je l'ai porté à la voiture et on est parti afin chercher la ferme. Je pensais que elle se situait à Aliou, et en route je me suis arrêté à chez Alban à demander la route. Il m'a dit quel la ferme etais à Cominac. Alors après 25 km de route, je suis arrivé mais seulement aprèes avoir demander plusieurs paysans le chemin, je l'le livré. Il a été vite emporté à recevoir du lait chaud. J'espère que il va survivre.

3 commentaires :

Andy a dit…

"I could watch it die"

Couldn't?

EvelyneC a dit…

des nouvelles du veau ?
Eve

Lee Sharp a dit…

Pas encore, elle vivais Mercredi.