mercredi 29 octobre 2008

An exhausting day


Awoke to the 'coup de blanche' (40cm of snow at the Port d'Aula). After checking on the sheep I recovered the electric fence charger from Pauls field and put the battery on charge. As the house was empty of firewood, I sharpened the chainsaw but then realised I was out of petrol and had left the wheelbarrow for transporting the wood at Pont de la Taule.
A trip there, collecting fuel on the way and I arrived to find the special wall climbing digger in place behind the house surrounded by trenches reassembling a scene from the Sombe. On the way back I dropped in on Jason and Grace for a cuppa.
When I got home for lunch, I found a message on the answer phone from the man in St Girons who is going to collect my tractor from Pamiers saying he could collect my tractor after lunch, three days earlier than planned. After a call to Pamiers to make sure the tractor was available and accessible for collection, I decided that having had enough tractor delivery problems to last a lifetime that I would go to Pamiers to see the tractor for the first time and make sure that there were no more problems! This meant leaving immediately - no lunch.
The tractor is lovely and in excellent condition (much better than I had hoped). Unfortunately the battery is flat so I couldn't turn the engine over. Nevertheless we loaded it on the trailer and it is now in St Girons. Tomorrow lunchtime it will be here - over a month since leaving Italy!
By the time I got home it was dark. But the fire is lit and some home grown pork filet has filled my grumbling stomach.

Aucun commentaire :