mardi 28 octobre 2008

Snow

Up early this morning to head over to Pont de la Taule in the torrential rain to fell the box hedge which was barring access for the wall climbing JCB. Probably needn't have bothered as the rain has been that heavy today I don't think anybody has bothered getting out of bed.

Once finished and after stacking the wood I can use for joinery, I headed for St G in search of a tractor-carrying trailer to hire. Soon discovered that in France one needs a special driving licence to tow a trailer heavier than 550kgs - the idea went down the pan! Went to a garage to see if they would collect the tractor with their breakdown truck, but apparently that too is against the law. Eventually ended up at a vehicle breakers who were happy to put any vehicle on a trailer and move it. Fingers crossed delivery is Friday.

The rain continued and by late afternoon was turning to snow. I moved the sheep to the barn before Jean-Pierre arrived. A 'chasser' from Soulan (the neighbouring commune) he'd found my blog and arranged to meet up. After several whiskies he invited me to dinner with his wife and his brother who's birthday it was. After all the rain and snow I couldn't get the car out of the garage so he gave me a lift. A fun evening in good company and nice to realise that my french comprehension and language skills have come a long way.

About an inch of snow here so far tonight and still snowing.

Aucun commentaire :